Sunday, February 22, 2009

Week 7: THING 16: WIKIS

I have actually have had the opportunity to work with wikis while taking courses towards my master's degree in library science. It was very useful when conducting research with a group in which the students were from different cities. We were able to post our discussions, thoughts, and plans together. The wiki was very helpful in keeping the group organized and by the end, our research paper was a wonderful end result.

In the middle school library, the wiki would be very helpful, especially for discussion amongst the students and teacher/librarian. Many times, students have difficulty with a specific subject and can post their concerns on the wiki. Both teacher/librarian and students can dialog and share their ideas and understanding about specific subjects. As a librarian, I would love to have a wiki to involve students to discuss the various books they are reading. I loved looking through the "BookLoversWiki" as it had links to various genres. This is an excellent way to have students involved, especially since they are so technology savvy. This wiki is one that I would love to set up at the library I work at...I know that the students would be so very engaged!! What power there is in such technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment